The Vatican announced the name change Sept. 28 and released a new logo for the organization that serves seafarers and sailors.
Pope calls on countries to fulfill the ideals the UN was founded on 75 years ago
Archbishop spared 800 historic manuscripts from destruction by ISIS
Talk focuses on principle of subsidiarity.
Pope Francis will address the UN in a video message on Sept. 25
The Church must ‘offer everyone the word of salvation that Jesus came to bring,’ Pope Francis said.
Cologne Cardinal Rainer Maria Woelki warned that the Synodal Path reform project could lead to a “German national church.”
Continuing his series of talks on “healing the world,” the pope reflected on the theme of “caring for the common home and contemplative attitude.”
“Lebanon, the last Christian foothold in the Middle East,…the only democratic secular state in the Arab world, is an example of unity in diversity.”
In areas where there are protests, Pope Francis asked Catholic communities, especially pastors, “to work for dialogue and reconciliation.”
Pope Francis said that when it comes to treating patients, especially women, doctors and medical institutions should place their care above financial gain.
- Apostleship of the Sea becomes ‘Stella Maris’ in its 100th year
- Pope to U.N.: Respect for each human life is essential for peace, equality
- Iraqi archbishop who saved ancient manuscripts nominated for EU prize
- True change requires input of everyone, not just the powerful, pope says
- U.N. must recommit to serving the common good, Cardinal Parolin says