Catholics turning to the U.S. bishops’ “Forming Consciences for Faithful Citizenship” for clear-cut answers to the question “How should I vote?” will be disappointed.
Catholic leaders encourage voters to prepare by listening, reading, consulting and considering how a particular election engages their values.
Many people suffer the loss of “a sense of place” when a region that is like home to them is exploited or abused in large
Unlike many Catholics who flocked to central Appalachia in the wake of “This Land Is Home to Me,” the 1975 Appalachian bishops’ pastoral letter, I
If you’ve ever read about someone suffering the ravages of a hunger strike and the violence of forced feeding, you have an insight into what
As we mark the 100th anniversary of the ratification of the constitutional amendment that gave women the right to vote, for most it will not
On Aug. 6 and 9 the world will observe the 75th anniversary of the atomic bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki. The 75th anniversary raises the
This coming August marks not only the 75th anniversary of the end of World War II but also of the atomic bombings of Hiroshima and
The first weekend of quarantine, my husband and I decided we were not going to attend Mass. Things weren’t publicly suspended yet in our diocese,
St. John XXIII Parish is 15 years old this summer. I have been pastor throughout that time. There was the initial planting of a new
As the COVID-19 pandemic made its way around the globe in 2020, people of all races, ages and walks of life watched and waited. A
We are waiting. Waiting for what? We don’t really know. We used to wait in line, on hold, in traffic. We waited with anticipation for
- Faith Alive No. 30, Part 1: Document ‘Forming Consciences for Faithful Citizenship’ examined
- Faith Alive No. 30, Part 2: What is at stake when we vote?
- Faith Alive. Rediscovering a sense of place: Appalachia’s story
- Faith Alive. Catholic Committee of Appalachia’s models of ministry
- Faith Alive No. 32, Part 1: Women’s right to vote: 100th anniversary of 19th Amendment
- Faith Alive No. 32, Part 2: Centenary of the ratification of the 19th Amendment: Women’s leadership
- Faith Alive. No. 31, Part 1: What does the Catholic Church teach about nuclear weapons?
- Faith Alive. No. 31, Part 2: The church on nuclear abolition